Two Year 8 students, Louis Powell and Aidan McTighe, along with two Year 9 students, Hal Simpson and William Abbott will be competing against teams across the UK for this year’s UK Team Maths Challenge trophy. The team were runners up in the Regional Final held in Wolverhampton and won the opportunity to compete in the National Final at the Royal Horticultural Halls in London on Monday 19th June 2017. Over 1750 schools entered the competition and 88 have qualified to take part in the Final.
The National Final of the Team Maths Challenge, which is run by the UK Mathematics Trust, involves teams of four students from Years 8 and 9, competing in:
- a group circus involving hands-on maths problems;
- a series of shuttles in which the answer from one question feeds in to the next;
- a crossnumber (mathematical crossword);
- a relay race combining physical and mental agility;
- a separate poster competition based on a mathematical subject.
A huge well done to all four students who have made it to the final, this is an incredible achievement. Good luck for the 19th June.